Sources for More Information
Bulletin #66: Not Your Father’s Arboriculture
Quick links to additional information for this issue is arranged below in the order featured in the bulletin.
Inventories and Assessments
- Available i-Tree suite applications
- A guide to literature and information about Monitoring and Assessment of Urban Forests and Trees
- OpenTreeMap is an amazing open-source software package that displays the city’s trees on a map and allows the public to modify or add data about specific trees or planting sites (with administrator approval). Internet users can also obtain information about the trees or sites, including the ecoservices provided.
Major Suppliers of Arboriculture Equipment
This is a partial list of general supply firms with no endorsements intended:
- Bartlett Arborist Supply & Manufacturing
- Ben Meadows Company
- Forestry Suppliers
- Sherrill, Inc.
- An illustrated presentation about seedling production methods by Dr. Tom Landis, USDA Forest Service
- Visit Arbor Day Farm's Greenhouse
- The reason root control bags are used in growing large-caliper trees
- An example of root control bags in use
Better Methods of Tree Care
This is a partial list of suppliers or sources of more information. No endorsements intended:
- Mini lifts
- Tree spades
- Acoustic tomography and other methods of determining internal decay
- Alternatives to Chemical Spraying
Research for the Future
Two good places to start to review social science work in urban forestry are the websites of the University of Illinois’ Landscape and Human Health Laboratory and the University of Washington’s Human Dimensions of Urban Forestry and Urban Greening.
A leader in the ecosystem services of urban trees is the USDA Northern Research Station.
There are many scientific papers on the topic of research related to structure and mechanical forces.
American National Standards Institute
- An overview of ANSI
- For ANSI publications related to arboriculture and urban forestry, visit the International Society of Arboriculture
Call 1-888-448-7337 | Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM | CST